Skip to content
  • Work boats on a ladder resting against a white wall  

Church health and safety

Places of worship are not exempt from health and safety legislation. Take a look at our quick video for tips and advice on ensuring your church meets the correct requirements.

  • Read the video transcript

    School folders  
    Churches and church halls are both places where you need to guarantee that you have an up-to-date health and safety policy, as you have a duty of care to your church members and volunteers.

    Regular risk assessments, making sure you have an incident book and appointing a health and safety sub-committee are all things that you need to consider when you’re setting up your own health and safety policy.

    You’ve heard the phrase ‘little and often’, and it’s definitely worth applying this to reviewing your health and safety policies. Checking that they’re up to date once a month could potentially save you a lot of hassle, and you’ll be glad you did.

    One thing that is worth mentioning is that we can help you with your health and safety policy. By downloading the self-assessment form on our website, you can find out how safe your church and church hall are. If you answer ‘no’ to any of the questions, you could be at risk of an accident, which increases the possibility of claims made against you; and no-one wants that to happen.

    Our web site includes a template to help you carry out a risk assessment of the properties and your activities.

More tips and advice for your church

Some essential advice from Environmental Health Officers who enforce health and safety legislation in the law:

  • Carry out regular risk assessments of each activity and part of the church.

  • Download our forms to help you - take our self-assessment to find out how safe your church and church hall is. You can also download a risk assessment form to help you complete your risk assessment.

  • Write a health and safety policy - it's your responsibility to show you have adequate arrangements in place.

  • Record all incidents - under the 1995 Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, you must complete the statutory accident book and report incidents to the Local Environmental Health Department.

  • Write everything down - including statements from witnesses, where possible.

  • Appoint a health and safety sub-committee, including a member with specific responsibility for health and safety, who will ensure that risk assessments and procedures are followed. Make health and safety a regular agenda item at your PCC meetings.

Full advice can be found in our Health and Safety Guidance notes. For more information call 0345 777 3322 or contact your local Insurance Consultant and Surveyor.

Contact us

For more information please contact us now on:

0345 777 3322

Lines are open 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).

Church Health & Safety documents

Choose the document that you are interested in below.

  • Church insurance health and safety policy with guidance notes
  • Guidance notes - health and safety
  • Fire risk assessment form
  • Safeguarding of vunerable persons
  • Food safety checklist

Church Matters Twitter

Twitter logo Follow us on Twitter
Follow Church Matters on Twitter where we'll be tweeting a wealth of information to help with the day to day running of your church.

Ecclesiastical Home Insurance

Insure your home Find out more

Extra cover for the clergy plus discounts for the church community

Ecclesiastical Insurance Group plc (EIG) Reg No 1718196. Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc (EIO) Reg No 24869. Ecclesiastical Life Ltd (ELL) Reg No 243111. Ecclesiastical Financial Advisory Services Ltd (EFAS) Reg No 2046087. Ecclesiastical Underwriting Management Ltd (EUML) Reg No 2368571. E.I.O. Trustees Ltd Reg No 941199. EdenTree Investment Management Ltd (EIM) Reg No 2519319. All companies are registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester GL1 1JZ. EIO and ELL are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 113848 (EIO) and 110318 (ELL). EFAS and EIM are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference Number 126123 (EFAS) and 527473 (EIM). EUML is an appointed representative of EIO who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 402228.