Assistant Company Secretary (1950)
- Location: Gloucester
- Duration: Permanent
- Working hours: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
- Application end date: 28/02/20
About the role
To provide professional and technical support to Boards of Directors, ensuring that statutory and governance practices are implemented to the highest standards and to identify, assess and act upon current, new and emerging legislation and legal/governance risks that may have an impact.
- To act as Secretary and trusted adviser to Boards and designated Board Committees as instructed by the Group Company Secretary, organising and administrating Board, Committee and Annual General Meetings, as required, including the preparation of minutes and agendas.
- To ensure that each Board adopts best practice governance standards and to advise and support the Group Company Secretary facilitating governance activities such as induction, board evaluations and board composition reviews.
- To ensure compliance with the Group Governance Framework and Expectations of SBUs paper (from a Governance perspective) and that a similar (complementary) Framework and Board Charter is implemented for each Board.
- To work with key stakeholders across the Group to ensure emerging legislation/regulation (EU and UK) is appropriately actioned in the business and provide independent assessment of progress made to relevant committees and boards.
- To represent the department (as set out by the Group Company Secretary) in projects across the Group working effectively with key external legal, regulatory, and other stakeholders to deliver results.
- Assist in the production of the Directors Report for the inclusion in the Financial Statements for Group Companies ensuring they comply with current legal, regulatory and governance requirements.
Key performance indicators
- Board meetings run smoothly and efficiently and positive feedback received from Directors on quality of service delivered to the Board
- Actions arising from Board meetings are properly communicated to the business and appropriately closed down
- Board Evaluations, Training and Induction sessions are held regularly and positive feedback received
- All Boards are compliant with the latest governance standards and legislation
- Governance Frameworks and Board Charters are formally documented and reviewed regularly
- All new and emerging legislation is identified, captured and monitored in the business and reported to relevant boards and committees
- Up to date policies are in place covering all legislative requirements at a corporate level
- Projects deliver required outcomes and benefits within timescales
- Directors Report and associated ‘year end’ actions are delivered to a high quality within deadlines including returns filed within deadlines.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Qualification: Graduate/Associate of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators or equivalent or working towards such qualification.
- Proven Experience in at least an Assistant Company Secretarial role
- In depth knowledge of Companies Act and awareness of other legislative requirements.
- Sound understanding of appropriate regulation
- Experience of Insurance, Financial Services, Asset Management and Pensions Regulation
- Good communication and influencing skills
- Demonstrates sound and commercial judgement and ability to design practical and proportionate solutions