Corporate Secretary (1949)
- Location: Gloucester
- Duration: Permanent
- Working hours: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
- Application end date: 28/02/20
About the role
To provide professional and technical support to SBUs Board of Directors, and the Group Executive Team ensuring that statutory and governance practices are implemented to the highest standards and to identify, assess and act upon current, new and emerging legislation and legal/governance risks that may impact on the SBUs.
- To act as Secretary and trusted adviser to SBU Boards and designated EIO Board Committees, organising and administrating Board, Committee and Annual General Meetings, as required, including the preparation of minutes and agendas.
- To ensure that each SBU adopts best practice governance standards and to advise and support the Chairman in facilitating governance activities such as induction, board evaluations and board composition reviews.
- To ensure the SBU complies with the Group Governance Framework and Expectations of SBUs paper (from a Governance perspective) and that a similar (complementary) Framework and Board Charter is implemented for each SBU.
- To act as Legal and Secretarial Business Partner to the SBUs assisting and developing solutions as appropriate to meet their business requirements.
- To monitor and assess the impact of legislative and regulatory developments affecting the SBUs at a corporate level making recommendations to the Board on implementation and compliance.
- To work with key stakeholders across the Group to ensure emerging legislation/regulation (EU and UK) is appropriately actioned in the business and provide independent assessment of progress made to the Risk Committees and the Board Committees.
- To lead specific projects across the Group working effectively with key external legal, regulatory, and other stakeholders to deliver results.
- Assist in the production of the Directors Report for the inclusion in the Financial Statements for Group Companies ensuring they comply with current legal, regulatory and governance requirements.
Key performance indicators
- Board meetings run smoothly and efficiently and positive feedback received from Directors on quality of service delivered to the Board.
- Actions arising from Board meetings are properly communicated to the business and appropriately closed down.
- Board Evaluations, Training and Induction sessions are held regularly and positive feedback received.
- All SBU Boards are compliant with the latest governance standards and legislation.
- The SBU Governance Framework and Board Charters are formally documented and reviewed regularly.
- All new and emerging legislation is identified, captured and monitored in the business and reported to the Risk and Board Committees.
- Up to date policies in place covering all legislative requirements at a corporate level.
- Projects deliver required outcomes and benefits within timescales
- Directors Report and associated ‘year end’ actions delivered to high quality within deadlines including returns filed within deadlines.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Qualification: Associate of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators or equivalent.
- Proven post qualification experience in at least an Assistant Company Secretarial role
- Experience of working in a diverse PLC Group.
- Sound understanding of UK Listing Authority Rules.
- Experienced in dealing with, and presenting to, Senior Executives, Non- Executive Directors and Board Committees.
- In depth knowledge of Companies Act and awareness of other legislative requirements.
- Sound understanding of FSA (Insurance) Regulation
- Experience of Insurance, Life Assurance, Asset Management, Pensions Regulation
- Credible, with proven ability to build effective relationships with key stakeholders, including Directors, executives and senior managers
- Proven track record in supporting, challenging and coaching Boards and SBU leaders to embed best practice governance and compliance with regulatory and legal requirements
- Good communication and influencing skills
- Demonstrates sound and commercial judgement and ability to design practical and proportionate solutions