- Location: Gloucester
- Duration: Permanent
- Application end date: 26/04/19
About the role
An established SQL Server DBA is required to support a major systems refresh project. We are particularly interested to hear from candidates with expertise in the sizing and tuning of transactional systems. In addition to project work you will oversee our outsourced DBA service who look after the day to day maintenance and support tasks across the wider SQL estate.
- Provide expert technical guidance on the architecture and sizing of production and non-production SQL Server environments taking into account infrastructure constraints and resilience/recovery objectives.
- Provide support and guidance to internal and external development teams to ensure best practice and performance is considered throughout the design and development process.
- Responsible for the database tuning of new and existing line of business systems, working with suppliers to ensure recommendations are implemented in a sustainable way.
- Work with internal teams and the outsourced DBA provider to troubleshoot and resolve issues with production and non-production SQL Server based applications.
- Responsible for the creation and governance of standards and good practice in relation to the use of SQL Server throughout the business.
- Provide necessary technical support and guidance to internal application development, business intelligence, data migration and infrastructure teams.
- Responsible for overseeing and directing the work of our outsourced DBA provider who look after all day to day database monitoring and maintenance activities.
- Maintain the disaster recovery plans in relation to SQL Server databases.
- Ownership and maintenance of database documentation.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Expertise and a proven track record in the implementation and administration of SQL Server databases from 2008 onwards (2016 onwards is desirable)
- Proficiency in the design of performant systems including partitioning and indexing
- Proficiency in troubleshooting and resolution of performance related database issues
- In-depth knowledge of implementation patterns including AlwaysOn Availability Groups and replication
- Experience of creating complex queries in SQL
- Knowledge of best practices for security and encryption
- Knowledge of relevant regulation such as GDPR and the implications for data storage and usage
- Demonstrable desire to move all staff towards data best practises
- Confident, competent and comfortable managing internal deadlines
- Process driven and methodical
- Able to create clear concise informative documentation
- Experience with SSIS, SSRS and SSAS is desirable