Development Underwriter (1793)
- Location: Home based
- Duration: Permanent
- Application end date: 26/04/19
Home-based (or Manchester office based considered) with extensive travel throughout Scotland, Newcastle and the North East. Regular work in the Manchester office expected.
- Support the delivery of the Regional Business Plan through underwriting existing business and new business.
- Maintain the highest level of Underwriting Authority to support empowered underwriting within the Region.
- Act as an underwriting referral point, and coach, for less experienced colleagues.
- Work collaboratively with Key Account Managers and Business Development Managers by providing targeted underwriting activity across Broker panels.
- Act as niche subject matter expert and referral point, internally and externally.
- Allocate time on a 60:40 basis for external: internal work.
- Proactively develop commercially successful relationships through specialist underwriting activity.
- Develop and maintain productive internal relationships including Class of Business Directors, Niche Directors and Regional Underwriting Managers.
- Act as a regional stakeholder for the management of external tripartite relationships.
- Act as a regional lead on prospecting/pipelining activity. Utilise CRM to build long term strategies to target and win new business opportunities.
- Present risk based solutions pulling on innovation and continuous improvement, working in conjunction with risk control and claims.
- Promote Ecclesiastical’s brand, values and reputation in its markets, with customers, suppliers and partners by having a visible and credible market presence.
- Actively expand personal technical and niche knowledge both informally (networking internally and externally, internet, industry press) and formally (In-house training, CII, CPD)
- Promote other Business Units such as Ansvar, Schemes, Broking, EdenTree and EPSL.
Key performance indicators
- Delivery of the Regional Business Plan and its profitable growth objectives.
- Delivery of GWP targets for new and existing business.
- Quality of underwriting and business decisions made.
- Utilisation of CRM system to plan, monitor and deliver agreed levels of activity and production.
- Activity and effective presence at key insurance and niche sector events e.g. Association of British Insurers and British Insurance Brokers Association. Charity, Heritage and Education forums.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- ACII or commitment to work towards within an agreed timescale.
- Proven track record in a senior underwriting role.
- Significant experience of building and maintaining co-operative and productive relationships at all levels.
- Confident and influential communicator at all levels.
- The ability to coach others to develop and enhance their performance.