Release Manager (2123)
- Location: Gloucester
- Duration: Permanent
- Working hours: 35 hours a week, Monday to Friday
- Application end date: 29/01/21
About the role
To manage, own and regularly review the Release Management lifecycle which includes scheduling, coordinating and the management of releases for all types of IT change being deployed into our system landscape for the UK General Insurance business. The releases can be inclusive of application updates, operating system patches, security improvements, hardware upgrades, Projects and Programmes.
- Responsible for the release process including planning, designing, building, configuration and release management activities to support the deployment of release packages from development through production
- Lead on investigation, selection and drive future tool implementation to support all aspects of release and environment management
- Ensure teams adhere to our release management processes and tools, along with updating the release schedule
- Ensure coordination of build and test environments teams and release teams
- Maintain the release schedule for all core systems and ensure alignment across key partners and vendors
- Negotiate, plan and manage all release activities including effective communication to all stakeholders.
- Sign off the release package(s) for implementation
- Lead on triage and resolution of deployment issues requiring co-ordination of external and internal parties, and complete route cause analysis on items as required.
- Own scheduling of access and testing activities from multiple parties on shared test environments.
- Audit hardware and software before and after the implementation of release package changes
- Manage risks and resolve issues that affect release scope, schedule and quality
- Measure and monitor progress to ensure application releases are delivered on time and within budget, and that they meet or exceed expectations (including weekly reporting)
- Communicate all key project plans, commitments, and changes including requirements, QA plans, schedule, and scope changes
- Manage relationships and coordinate work between different teams
- Conduct Release Readiness reviews, Milestone Reviews, and Business Go/No-Go reviews
- Work with development, infrastructure and test teams to understand impacts of branches and code merges
- Co-ordinate the Go-Live activities including the execution of the deployment Plans and checklists
- Participate in CAB meetings to discuss release scope and/or roadblocks
- Maintain a release repository and manage key information such as release notes, build and release procedures, dependencies, and notification lists
- Focus on continuous improvement including usage of appropriate software development and configuration management methodologies, technologies and tools
Key performance indicators:
- Own, manage and regularly review the Release Approach/Strategy in line with business transformation and practice adoption e.g. agile/devops adoption
- 360º feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstration of being instrumental in the delivery of solutions that contribute to company objectives
- Improvement in value delivery of the team
- Delivery standard to be in line with agreed annual objective and job specifications
- 360º feedback from team members
- Increased level of competency within the individual and team
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience in a Release Manager role (or similar) with proven success taking charge of large project deliverables
- Ability to combine business acumen and technical knowledge to deliver complex solutions.
- Experience of working on a large complex IT transformation programmes
- Practical experience of testing in a Waterfall, Agile, Continuous Integration/Delivery or in a DevOps approach to delivery.
- Proven experience of implementing release management and code version control tools and processes.
- Experience in establishing strong working relationships with 3rd party suppliers, offshore partners and business stakeholders.
- Evidence of managing high-pressure situations such as deployment issues and the ability co-ordinate an effective response which informs lessons learned.
- Track record of operating within a Release Management position in the financial services industry
- Desirable: understanding of scripts and automation tools used to build, integrate, and deploy software releases to various platforms