Technical / Senior Underwriter – New Schemes (2176)
- Location: Gloucester
- Duration: Permanent
- Working hours: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
- Application end date: 02/07/21
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for either a technical or senior underwriter to join a rapidly growing commercial schemes team at Ecclesiastical. The Schemes Department at Ecclesiastical underwrites a broad range of commercial schemes, providing delegated authority to our broker partners. With a risk appetite that is wider than Ecclesiastical’s standard niche offering you could be involved with schemes that cater for nurseries, holiday homes or even farms.
The successful applicant will have an extremely varied role and become an essential player in one of the key growth areas for Ecclesiastical. You will be involved with the entire new scheme journey from the generation of leads all the way to the launch of the scheme. Skills in time management, negotiation along with a strong underwriting background are therefore essential.
Given the wide variety involved with this role, we are not expecting you to be the finished article on day one. We are looking for an applicant who as a minimum has a strong underwriting background and the drive to learn the aspects of the role that are new to them.
- Research new opportunities for the schemes department
- Complete the first review and assessment of new enquiries before summarising your output to the wider schemes management team
- Complete financial assessments of new scheme opportunities at a portfolio level
- Develop and underwrite schemes within own authority and in line with Ecclesiastical strategy. Project managing the on boarding process. This will include but is not limited to the creation (or support in creation of):
- o Underwriting rules, guides and frameworks
- o Policy documentation
- o Contracts
- Liaise with internal departments to support new scheme delivery
- Plan, prioritise and manage individual work to deliver agreed objectives and meet SLA’s to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Act as referral point for the team providing coaching, training in an appropriate time frame
- Understand and operate within regulatory framework and identify and escalate any risks to the business.
- Production and delivery of performance reports
- Actively expand personal technical and niche knowledge both informally (networking internally and externally, internet, industry press) and formally (In-house training, CII, CPD)
Key performance indicators
- Delivery standard to within agreed SLAs
- Delivery of COR targets
- Timeliness and quality of reporting
- 360 feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Adherence to UW strategy
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Qualified Dip CII or commitment to achieve within an agreed timescale
- Market, Industry and Company knowledge
- Sound technical underwriting knowledge (will be tested)
- Able to work as part of a team and support colleagues
- Confident and influential communicator
- Experience of effective stakeholder management within a commercial environment
- Experience and ability to analyse relevant MI