Trust Director (1825) - Allchurches Trust
- Location: Gloucester
- Duration: Permanent
- Working hours: 35 hours a week, Monday to Friday
- Application end date: 19/07/19
Allchurches Trust Limited (ATL)
Allchurches Trust Limited is a registered charity established in 1972 which seeks to promote the Christian faith and other charitable purposes. It is also the owner of the Ecclesiastical Insurance Group (Ecclesiastical) which was established in 1887 to protect the Anglican Church and return profits to the Church’s charitable work. ATL derives its income from its trading subsidiary, Ecclesiastical, and from investment returns generated from its Endowment Fund (currently valued at some £85.7 million).
Ecclesiastical is a specialist insurance, risk management and financial services group with a strong reputation for integrity and personal service. It provides insurance, insurance broking and investment services to churches, schools, owners of secular heritage properties and charities. It has an annual turn-over of some £440.8 million and – with branches in Australia, Canada and Ireland - a staff of some 1,500 worldwide. Although Ecclesiastical is a commercial organisation, it has remained true to its founding values and its mission is to deliver a sustainable, long term financial return, in the form of charitable grants and capital growth, to Allchurches Trust.
The Trustees of Allchurches are committed to achieve the objectives and manage the affairs of the charity in a way which enhances public trust and support. In 2018, the Trust donated some £16.9 million in support of its objectives.
About the role
As the head of its staff team, to represent the Trust to key stakeholders and beneficiaries, develop and implement the Board’s strategy, and lead and manage the Trust’s staff.
- Under the oversight and direction of the Board, develop and implement the Trust’s strategy and provide support to members of the Board. Ensure the effective delivery of the Strategy.
- Working with the recently established Grants Committee and under the oversight of the Board, develop and execute the Trust’s grant-making policies.
- Plan and execute the Trust’s grant-making and operational budgets, reporting regularly to the Board and its Committees on expenditure against those budgets.
- Represent ATL to key stakeholders and beneficiaries, build relationships and raise the Trust’s profile among Christian denominations and appropriate charitable sectors.
- As principal spokesperson represent the Trust in the media and at conferences and functions. Oversee the development and implementation of the Trust’s communications strategy (including crisis management). Within the Ecclesiastical Insurance Group raise both knowledge and understanding of ATL’s work.
- Lead the Trust’s staff team, ensuring clarity of direction, two-way communication and their development. Work harmoniously with the Company Secretary and her team.
- Work closely with the Chairman to collaborate with other funders and delivery bodies, aiming to maximise the impact of the Trust’s work with all its beneficiaries.
- Be the trusted adviser to the Board and its Chairman, participating effectively at Board and Committee meetings and taking forward the development of policy.
- Lead and oversee all significant projects for the Trust.
Knowledge and experience
- Demonstrate you have led and managed teams and organisational budgets at a senior level.
- Evidence of leading and developing an organisation through a period of significant change.
- Knowledge of Church Affairs and related matters would be desirable.
- Experience of working in a charitable organization would be desirable.
- Qualification: Likely to be Degree level or equivalent.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the Trust’s Christian roots and charitable objective.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to think and act strategically.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Able to articulate a clear organisational vision and to develop a strategy for its implementation.
- Able to develop an understanding of the finances and investments of the Trust and to contribute to their efficient management under the direction of the Board and its Finance and Investment Committee.