Skip to content

Here you'll find an overview of what you need to consider when planning building works at your church.

It is very important that you understand the insurance implications of building works and when you should contact Ecclesiastical.

The difference between building and contract works

Building works relates to the actual work being done to your church whereas contract works relates to the insurance policy.

  • Cover for building works

    Your policy provides automatic cover for contract works and site materials for contracts not exceeding £150,000 (including VAT and fees).

    In all other circumstances we will need you to complete a building works questionnaire so we can quote for suitable insurance cover for you.

Types of building works contracts

Below are the different types of contractual arrangements your church will enter during building works.

  • Non-formal contracts (exchange of letters)


    Many small works are completed under an informal written agreement known as an exchange of letters which details the work in broad terms and the price to be paid.

    We do not need to be told about an exchange of letters for minor contract works where the contractor is responsible for loss or damage to the contract works and site materials. 

    If the contractor is not responsible for the site and materials you will need to provide more information about the work to us on our Non-Formal Contract (exchange of letters) form

  • Formal contracts


    A formal contract will normally be a JCT contract which covers in detail the arrangements of a building project. Please be aware that the insurance obligations under the 2016 edition of the JCT Minor Works Contract differ from previous editions. 

    The type of building contract you have entered will determine whether the PCC is responsible for the insurance. If you are, we can provide you with a quote to cover the contract works by calling on 0345 777 3322.

Other considerations during building works

Below are just some examples of what to consider during your churches building works.

  • What are ‘Hot works’?


    Every year there are numerous fires on construction sites and in buildings undergoing refurbishment, many caused by “hot works” i.e. welding, grinding, the use of open flames or the application of heat.

    When hot works are present certain procedures must be followed and we’ll need your contractor to complete a hot works permit.

  • What do we need to do if volunteers are involved in the works?


    Often, especially for small works such as painting and decorating church volunteers may be helping.

    As with any users of your premises you have a responsibility for ensuring that they are kept safe.

    Our Made Simple guide to Your Responsibility for People on Church Premises gives you a summary of what you need to consider.

  • What happens if the church needs to close during building works?


    We do not consider a Church undergoing building works as being unoccupied.

    However, if there is a period of un-occupancy prior to commencement or following completion of the contract works please contact us on 0345 777 3322 as soon as possible as it may be necessary for us to amend your cover .

  • What happens if our building works overrun?


    If the works are scheduled to overrun the original anticipated completion date, please contact us in case we need to extend your cover on 0345 777 3322

    Depending on the revised anticipated completion date, an additional premium may be required.

What do we need to do once the building works have completed?

Where the contract works include capital additions for example an extension, please contact us to review your building sum insured.

In the case of church halls your architect may be able to advise an appropriate adjustment to the building sum insured.

Download building works made simple  
Ecclesiastical Insurance Group plc (EIG) Reg No 1718196. Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc (EIO) Reg No 24869. Ecclesiastical Life Ltd (ELL) Reg No 243111. Ecclesiastical Financial Advisory Services Ltd (EFAS) Reg No 2046087. Ecclesiastical Underwriting Management Ltd (EUML) Reg No 2368571. E.I.O. Trustees Ltd Reg No 941199. EdenTree Investment Management Ltd (EIM) Reg No 2519319. All companies are registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester GL1 1JZ. EIO and ELL are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 113848 (EIO) and 110318 (ELL). EFAS and EIM are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference Number 126123 (EFAS) and 527473 (EIM). EUML is an appointed representative of EIO who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 402228.