Skip to content
Here we provide a helpful summary of some of the insurance and risk management issues you need to think about when you are considering community outreach activities such as foodbanks or night shelters.

Do we need to notify you if we are organising a Messy Church event?

You don’t need to tell us if you are holding a Messy Church event, we view it as part of your church activity. You will however need to consider:

You can find out more about Messy Church on their website.

Other types of community outreach activities

A few more activities your church may consider taking part in and the risk management advice to ensure they run as smoothly as possible.

  • Fresh Expressions of church


    Will there be an additional charge if we start a Fresh Expressions of church?

    Sometimes Fresh Expressions activities take place in unfamiliar settings such as a church in a café, pub or school. In general, there are no additional insurance implications but you do need to be aware of your obligations in respect of, for example:

    Health and Safety
    • Safeguarding, particularly if you are serving a youth congregation
    • Personal safety.

    Where you are involved in a more unusual or hazardous Fresh Expressions of a church please contact us. Occasionally we may need to charge an additional premium.

    You can find out more about Fresh Expressions on their website.

  • Foodbanks


    We would like to run a foodbank at our church. Do we need extra cover?

    Many churches have taken the lead by setting up foodbanks or joining with other churches in the community to do so. If you are planning to operate a foodbank, please call us for advice.

    Key things to consider before setting up or getting involved with a foodbank:

    • Where will you hold the foodbank?
    • Who runs the foodbank?
    • Where will you get the food from?

    To make sure your church insurance policy covers your foodbank, we may need to add a small annual charge to your premium. Find out more .

  • Cafes and coffee shops


    We want to run a café in the church will we need extra cover?

    Unless the café means there will be a lot more cash held at the church, or you’ll be serving a lot of hot meals on a regular basis, you probably won’t need any extra cover.

    If you are preparing and serving food you must train staff and volunteers in basic food hygiene and let your local council know. They’ll tell you whether you need to register as a food service provider.

    You will need to make sure that you are aware of the requirements of:

    • The Food Safety Act 1990
    • The Food Hygiene Regulations 2006.

  • Nightshelters


    Will we need extra cover if we run a night shelter at our church?

    We can provide cover under your insurance policy and there will be a small additional premium for churches holding night shelters. Find out more .

Ecclesiastical Insurance Group plc (EIG) Reg No 1718196. Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc (EIO) Reg No 24869. Ecclesiastical Life Ltd (ELL) Reg No 243111. Ecclesiastical Financial Advisory Services Ltd (EFAS) Reg No 2046087. Ecclesiastical Underwriting Management Ltd (EUML) Reg No 2368571. E.I.O. Trustees Ltd Reg No 941199. EdenTree Investment Management Ltd (EIM) Reg No 2519319. All companies are registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester GL1 1JZ. EIO and ELL are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 113848 (EIO) and 110318 (ELL). EFAS and EIM are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference Number 126123 (EFAS) and 527473 (EIM). EUML is an appointed representative of EIO who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 402228.