Skip to content

Are your premises undergoing repairs, maintenance or an extension? 

During building work there is an increased risk of fire, theft and accident. Understanding the risks, how to mitigate them and what steps to take when employing contractors is essential for anyone with responsibility for people and premises.

What are your obligations?

You are responsible for ensuring anyone working on your premises is competent and will work safely with due regard for others’ safety. You must be able to show that you have procedures in place to ensure the people you appoint to carry out works are suitably trained and competent.

What should you do before building work starts?

Consult with your architect to establish insurance obligations under the terms of your contract and advise your broker as soon as building work is planned.  You may need to arrange additional insurance cover in respect of:

  • The existing structure together with the contents, and

  • The works and all unfixed materials and goods other than builders’ plant, tools and other equipment.

What should you do when employing contractors?

You should carry out reasonable checks to ensure contractors are competent and experienced in that type of work, especially when hot works are involved.

You should ensure that the contractors have suitable insurances against Public Liability (PL) (Third Party) and Employers’ Liability risks. Such insurances should also be extended by specific reference to protect the interests of your organisation by the inclusion of an Indemnity to Principal clause.  It is reasonable to see your contractor’s valid current certificate of insurance, showing an adequate PL indemnity. This should appropriately reflect the scale and scope of the works and the values at risk.

What basic precautions can you take?

All workmen should be shown where fire extinguishers are and told where responsible officials or telephones can be found in the event of an emergency. The local police and fire brigade should be advised if the repair works are major. During the contract period responsible officials should inspect the buildings carefully at the end of each day to ensure all is in order, wherever possible, irregular visits should be made during the day.

Are there any particular considerations regarding ‘hot work’?

Building work may mean the introduction of additional hazards, such as hot work. This involves the application of heat and includes work involving the use of blowlamps, heat guns, cutting torches and welding apparatus. This is often undertaken by plumbing and decorating contractors and roofing contractors in particular may be using tar boilers.

A Hot Work Permit must be issued if your buildings works are insured with us and there are hot works involved. This will ensure, as far as possible, that contractors obtain permission from an authorised person before starting work and fire prevention precautions are taken before, during and after the works take place.

Reviewing a Hot Work Permit Checklist will help you to prepare for any works being carried out, giving due consideration to fire protection, the surrounding area of the work and equipment used.

Ecclesiastical Insurance Group plc (EIG) Reg No 1718196. Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc (EIO) Reg No 24869. Ecclesiastical Life Ltd (ELL) Reg No 243111. Ecclesiastical Financial Advisory Services Ltd (EFAS) Reg No 2046087. Ecclesiastical Underwriting Management Ltd (EUML) Reg No 2368571. E.I.O. Trustees Ltd Reg No 941199. EdenTree Investment Management Ltd (EIM) Reg No 2519319. All companies are registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester GL1 1JZ. EIO and ELL are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 113848 (EIO) and 110318 (ELL). EFAS and EIM are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference Number 126123 (EFAS) and 527473 (EIM). EUML is an appointed representative of EIO who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 402228.