Skip to content

Home Insurance FAQs

  • What is buildings insurance and what am I covered for?

    + -
    The home including any garages or outbuildings used only for domestic purposes, home office use, permanent fixtures and fittings, wind turbines and solar panels fixed to the buildings or fixed to the ground, swimming pools, tennis courts, paths, drives, terraces, patios, walls, fences, hedges and gates as long as these are all within the boundaries of the land belonging to your property.
  • What is contents insurance and what am I covered for?

    + -
    Household goods, furniture, furnishings, clothing, personal belongings and valuables all belonging to you or for which you are legally responsible.
  • What is the difference between standard cover and accidental damage cover?

    + -

    Standard cover will cover your property and/or contents for the perils noted in the policy document, e.g. fire, earthquake, storm, flood and subsidence.

    Accidental damage cover will provide cover for your property and/or contents for any damage caused accidently, e.g. spilling paint onto a carpet or bursting a pipe whilst carrying out some DIY.

  • Am I covered for items that I take away from my home?

    + -

    There is cover provided under our policy under a section called Portable Possessions. This will cover any items that you take away from your home and on holiday so can cover mobile phones (handset only), laptops, camera equipment or jewellery.

    Any items that you take away from your home that are valued over £3,500 will need to be specified on the policy individually.

  • Is Home Emergency cover included under the policy?

    + -

    Yes. We have Home Emergency cover included under your household policy. DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited handle these claims on our behalf and you can use this for anything from roof damage, plumbing and drainage, your main heating system, the domestic power supply, the toilet unit, home security to vermin.

    If you need to make a claim under this section of the policy, please call DAS on 0345 268 8469.

  • Is Legal Expenses cover included under the household policy?

    + -

    Yes. We have legal expenses cover included under your household policy. You have a limit of £50,000 and DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited handles these claims on our behalf. DAS are also able to help on any legal advice or issue that you may have.

    If you feel like you need legal assistance, please call DAS on 0345 268 8469.

  • Is there any liability cover under the policy?

    + -
    There is liability cover included on your policy automatically up to a limit of £2,000,000.
  • Are my contents covered on a ‘New for Old’ basis?

    + -
    Yes, all apart from household linen and clothing.
  • Are the contents in my garage/outbuildings covered?

    + -
    Yes. The contents in these buildings will be automatically covered up to £5,000.
  • Are the contents in my freezer covered?

    + -
    The contents in your freezer will be covered up to your contents sum insured.
  • Are lost keys and broken locks covered?

    + -
    If you lose the keys to your home or they are stolen or there is accidental damage to the locks of the outside doors or windows we will pay for reasonable and necessary costs of:

    (a) gaining access to your home
    (b) repairing or replacing the locks

    The most we will pay for any one claim is £1,000.
  • Is my bike covered under my household policy?

    + -

    Whilst the bike is in your property, this will be covered under your general contents insurance. If you take your bike away from the home, then this will be covered under the Portable Possessions section of your insurance. Also, if your bike is worth more that £750, this will need to specified individually on the policy.

  • Will my son/daughter's possessions be covered if they go to university?

    + -

    As long as you have Portable Possessions cover under your policy and your son/daughter stays at your property in the holiday times, then their possessions will be covered. Please note that the Portable Possessions sum insured will need to be sufficient to cover the whole family.

    The most we will pay for any contents whilst in the student accommodation is £5000 in any one period of insurance. Please note that if there is more than one child at university then the £5000 is split between them.

  • Are the fences at my property covered under my buildings insurance?

    + -
    The fences at your property will be covered under this insurance but we will only be able to pay a claim for damage to any fence if the main building, garage or outbuilding is damaged at the same time.
  • Why does my insurance exclude wear and tear?

    + -
    Home insurance policies are designed to cover sudden and unexpected identifiable events such as fire or flooding to your home.

    Wear and tear, however, naturally happens to all properties and possessions over time, and as such you will find wear and tear is not covered on most insurance policies. 

    The cost of maintaining your property or contents or replacing items due to wear and tear is not covered by our policy. 

    There are a few simple things you can do to prevent wear and tear causing you a problem: 

    · Check your property regularly 
    · Ensure you carry out routine maintenance 
    · Fix problems as soon as they arise.
  • Do I get a no claims discount?

    + -
    We do offer a no claims bonus on our policies. We can offer a maximum of 5 years no claims discount.
  • Do I need to tell you about alterations to my property?

    + -

    If the work taking place is in excess of £25,000, please complete our Buildings Work Questionnaire and send it back to us.

    If the work taking place will be less than £25,000, please contact us to let us know and allow us to note your policy accordingly.

  • My property is going to be unoccupied for 60 days, do I need to let you know?

    + -
    Yes. We have a 60 day ruling on the policy. After 60 days the cover on the policy may change and so we will need to know if the property will be unoccupied.
  • Will Ecclesiastical cancel my previous insurance with my previous provider?

    + -
    No. You will need to call the previous insurers and cancel the policy.
  • Will my premium be lower if I install a burglar alarm or specific locks?

    + -
    This will not reduce the premium in any way; however your property may be in an area that requires you to meet certain security requirements. We will be able to tell you this.
  • What is an excess?

    + -
    An excess is the first monetary amount that you will pay towards a claim. Under our policies the excesses are £1000 for subsidence, £250 for any escape of water or oil claim and £75 for any other standard claim. We do have the option to add on voluntary excesses which would be added to the already existing excesses.
  • How do I make a complaint?

    + -

    If you need to do this then you will need to either call us direct on 0345 777 3322, write a letter or send an email to

  • Alternative document formats

    + -

    We can transcribe your documentation, letters and schedules using the following alternative formats:

    • Braille
    • Large print
    • Audio
    • Tactile
    • Audiobook

    If you would like us to arrange this for you, please contact our Customer Services Team  on 0345 604 6438.

  • How can I find out the rebuild cost of my property?

    + -
    Visit the Association of British Insurers website and this will ask you some questions to determine the rebuild value of your property.
  • As a church owned company, are you only able to offer quotes to members of the clergy?

    + -

    No. We are able to offer new business quotations to all members of the public as well as clergy members.

  • Do you offer a landlord’s policy?

    + -

    We cannot specifically offer you a landlord’s policy, but what we can do is offer a standard household policy and note that the property is let.

    We do have some exclusions that will apply whilst the property insured is let and these can be found in the policy booklet.

  • Am I entitled to a discount if I volunteer for the Church?

    + -
    Yes. If you carry out some voluntary work for the church, then we are able to offer a discount for this.
  • My property is a listed building, can I get a quote?

    + -
    We can still offer you a quotation if your property is listed. We will need to know which Grade the building is.
  • Do I get a neighbourhood watch scheme discount?

    + -
    This will not reduce the premium in any way but we will note our records to show that there is a neighbourhood watch scheme in place.
  • My property has suffered previous subsidence, can I get a quote?

    + -

    If the subsidence has happened in the past 15 years, then unfortunately we will be unable to offer a quotation for your property.

    If the subsidence occurred over 15 years ago, then before we are able to offer a quotation, we would need to see an up-to-date structural engineers report. Once this has been received, we will then decide if we are able to offer a quotation for your property.

  • Is personal money cover included under the household policy?

    + -

    Yes. You have up to £500 personal money cover included on the policy. Personal money means current notes and coins, cheques, travellers cheques, postal or money orders, postage stamps (not forming part of a stamp collection), National Savings stamps or certificates, premium bonds, trading stamps, stamps for television licence, gas, electricity or other bills, luncheon vouchers, gift tokens, telephone cards, travel tickets and other season tickets all held for personal or charitable purposes.

    The cover also applies for up to 90 days in any one period of insurance, elsewhere in the world.

  • Do you cover Watercraft?

    + -
    On request we can provide cover under your contents policy for small boats (measuring less than 5 meters and not having a top speed over 15 knots), craft, surfboard or a sailboard.  

    If you require cover please contact our team on 0345 604 6438.
Ecclesiastical Insurance Group plc (EIG) Reg No 1718196. Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc (EIO) Reg No 24869. Ecclesiastical Life Ltd (ELL) Reg No 243111. Ecclesiastical Financial Advisory Services Ltd (EFAS) Reg No 2046087. Ecclesiastical Underwriting Management Ltd (EUML) Reg No 2368571. E.I.O. Trustees Ltd Reg No 941199. EdenTree Investment Management Ltd (EIM) Reg No 2519319. All companies are registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester GL1 1JZ. EIO and ELL are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 113848 (EIO) and 110318 (ELL). EFAS and EIM are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference Number 126123 (EFAS) and 527473 (EIM). EUML is an appointed representative of EIO who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 402228.