Cyber security and risk management
26 March 2020
Helping you reduce cyber risks.
What is cyber security?
Cyber security describes the different ways people and organisations can defend against cyber attacks. The right security can significantly reduce the risk of a successful attack on your organisation.
Why is cyber security important?
A cyber security breach can damage an organisation in many ways. These can range from:
- Disruption and data loss
- Damage through loss of intellectual property
- Denial of access to websites and services
- Physical loss or damage through viruses
- Damage to brand or reputation
- Loss of public trust.
Cyber security forms your organisation’s first line of defence. It’s important for anyone dependent on computer systems, the internet and technology such as smart phones and tablets to conduct business and carry out their day-to-day activities.
Who is at risk of a cyber attack?
Last year, the Government found that 52% of businesses had experienced a cyber attack.1
Whilst organisations have different levels of dependency on technology, they all have some form of cyber risk to be considered.
The majority of successful cyber attacks are not that sophisticated but can cause serious commercial damage. By getting the basic defences right, businesses of every size can protect their reputation, finances and operating capabilities.
How to prevent against a cyber attack
Best practice in cyber security stretches across industries and includes key measures such as:
- Backing up data regularly and in more than one place
- Updating antivirus software and other software programmes so they include the latest patches
- Using strong passwords and encryption to protect data
- Implementing training to ensure staff are able to recognise and respond to threats.
You can learn more about the threats posed by cyber crime and find more detail about how to defend your organisation and data by downloading our cyber security guidance notes.
1Cyber Security Breaches Survey 2017, Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport , April 2017