Home insurance you can trust

At Ecclesiastical, we pride ourselves on providing honest and specialist insurance for those associated with the church, and our home insurance is no different. We are proud to have been awarded Fairer Finance’s 1st place gold ribbon for customer experience and voted as being the most trusted home insurance provider in their recent rankings. Find out more about Fairer Finance.

£130 for your church with every new home insurance policy

Take out a new home insurance policy with us before 31st December 2019 and we’ll donate £130 to a church of your choice*. To benefit, all you have to do is quote ‘Trust130’ when you take out your policy, and we will arrange the rest. 
These donations have already made a massive difference to churches, helping to fund anything from repairs and day-to-day running costs of the church, to exciting new projects and equipment.  
Find out more about how the donations have helped churches already.

There’s nothing standard about our standard policy

We strive to do the best we can for our customers, that’s why our home insurance policy covers losing keys, legal expenses and home emergency protection all at no additional charge. With Ecclesiastical you’ll be insured against a range of events such as fire, theft, subsidence, storm or flood and escape of water. 
Our home buildings and contents insurance includes: 

  • Up to £750,000 buildings and £75,000 contents cover
  • Home emergency cover
  • Up to £50,000 legal expenses cover
  • Up to £3,500 for accidental loss or damage to valuables and personal belongings that you take away from your home.

We do not cover: 

  • Wear and tear (this naturally happens to all properties and possessions over time, and as such is not covered by most insurance policies) 
  • Damage due to lack of maintenance (the cost of maintaining your property or contents due to wear and tear is not covered by our policy)

High-value items

If you have specific high value items or require a greater level of cover for your buildings and contents, please call our team to discuss your specific requirements.

Friendly, knowledgeable, supportive staff, ethical, straight talking company.

Home insurance customer

Renewals and auto renewal

We will send you a renewal pack within 21 days of your renewal date. It will have details of your renewal premium, any changes to the policy wording and cover, and a reminder of what you have told us, so you can update us if anything has changed. 
If you pay by Direct Debit, your policy will automatically renew, you only need to contact us if your circumstances have changed. If you wish to amend or cancel your policy please contact us by calling the phone number 0345 777 33 22 before your renewal date.
If you pay by any other means, please note, we don’t auto-renew. You can renew your policy by calling the phone number 0345 777 33 22. If you choose not to renew, your cover will end when your existing policy expires.
Please note - calls to 03 numbers are typically charged at no more than local rate.
*Terms and conditions apply


We can transcribe your documentation, letters and schedules using the following alternative formats:
  • Braille 
  • Large print 
  • Audio 
  • Tactile 
  • Audiobook
If you would like us to arrange this for you, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0345 604 6438.
There is cover provided under our policy under a section called Portable Possessions. This will cover any items that you take away from your home and on holiday so can cover mobile phones (handset only), laptops, camera equipment or jewellery.
Any items that you take away from your home that are valued over £3,500 will need to be specified on the policy individually.
Yes. If you carry out some voluntary work for the church, then we are able to offer a discount for this.
If you lose the keys to your home or they are stolen or there is accidental damage to the locks of the outside doors or windows we will pay for reasonable and necessary costs of:
(a) gaining access to your home
(b) repairing or replacing the locks
The most we will pay for any one claim is £1,000.
Yes, all apart from household linen and clothing.
The contents in your freezer will be covered up to your contents sum insured.
Yes. The contents in these buildings will be automatically covered up to £5,000
The fences at your property will be covered under this insurance but we will only be able to pay a claim for damage to any fence if the main building, garage or outbuilding is damaged at the same time.
No. We are able to offer new business quotations to all members of the public as well as clergy members.
This will not reduce the premium in any way but we will note our records to show that there is a neighbourhood watch scheme in place.
We do offer a no claims bonus on our policies to reward customers who are claim free. We can offer a maximum of 5 years no claims discount, if a claim is made on the policy this is reduced to nil.
If the work taking place is in excess of £25,000, please complete our Buildings Work Questionnaire and send it back to us.
If the work taking place will be less than £25,000, please contact us to let us know and allow us to note your policy accordingly.
On request we can provide cover under your contents policy for small boats (measuring less than 5 meters and not having a top speed over 15 knots), craft, surfboard or a sailboard.  
If you require cover please contact our team on 0345 604 6438.
We cannot specifically offer you a landlord’s policy, but what we can do is offer a standard household policy and note that the property is let.
We do have some exclusions that will apply whilst the property insured is let and these can be found in the policy booklet.
We will cover the reasonable and necessary costs incurred with our consent to: locate the source of leaking water or oil from any fixed water or heating system in Your Home; and repair any damage caused in locating the source of the leak. 
The most we will pay is £5,000 for each leak.
Visit the Association of British Insurers website and this will ask you some questions to determine the rebuild value of your property.
If you need to do this then you will need to either call us direct on 0345 777 3322, write a letter or send an email to household@ecclesiastical.com.
Yes. We have Home Emergency cover included under your household policy. DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited handle these claims on our behalf and you can use this for anything from roof damage, plumbing and drainage, your main heating system, the domestic power supply, the toilet unit, home security to vermin.
If you need to make a claim under this section of the policy, please call DAS on 0345 268 8469.
Whilst the bike is in your property, this will be covered under your general contents insurance. If you take your bike away from the home, then this will be covered under the Portable Possessions section of your insurance. Also, if your bike is worth more than £750, this will need to specified individually on the policy.
Yes. You have up to £750 personal money cover included on the policy. Personal money means current notes and coins, cheques, travellers cheques, postal or money orders, postage stamps (not forming part of a stamp collection), National Savings stamps or certificates, premium bonds, trading stamps, stamps for television licence, gas, electricity or other bills, luncheon vouchers, gift tokens, telephone cards, travel tickets and other season tickets all held for personal or charitable purposes.
The cover also applies for up to 90 days in any one period of insurance, elsewhere in the world.
There is liability cover included on your policy automatically up to a limit of £2,000,000.
If the subsidence has happened in the past 15 years, then unfortunately we will be unable to offer a quotation for your property.
If the subsidence occurred over 15 years ago, then before we are able to offer a quotation, we would need to see an up-to-date structural engineers report. Once this has been received, we will then decide if we are able to offer a quotation for your property.
We can still offer you a quotation if your property is listed. We will need to know which Grade the building is.
Yes. We have a 60 day ruling on the policy. After 60 days the cover on the policy may change and so we will need to know if the property will be unoccupied.
An excess is the first monetary amount that you will pay towards a claim. Under our policies the excesses are £1,000 for subsidence, £250 for any escape of water or oil claim and £75 for any other standard claim. We do have the option to add on voluntary excesses which would be added to the already existing excesses.
The home including any garages or outbuildings used only for domestic purposes, home office use, permanent fixtures and fittings, wind turbines and solar panels fixed to the buildings or fixed to the ground, swimming pools, tennis courts, paths, drives, terraces, patios, walls, fences, hedges and gates as long as these are all within the boundaries of the land belonging to your property.
Household goods, furniture, furnishings, clothing, personal belongings and valuables all belonging to you or for which you are legally responsible.
Standard cover will cover your property and/or contents for the perils noted in the policy document, e.g. fire, earthquake, storm, flood and subsidence.
Accidental damage cover will provide cover for your property and/or contents for any damage caused accidently, e.g. spilling paint onto a carpet or bursting a pipe whilst carrying out some DIY.
Home insurance policies are designed to cover sudden and unexpected identifiable events such as fire or flooding to your home. 
Wear and tear, however, naturally happens to all properties and possessions over time, and as such you will find wear and tear is not covered on most insurance policies. 
The cost of maintaining your property or contents or replacing items due to wear and tear is not covered by our policy. 
There are a few simple things you can do to prevent wear and tear causing you a problem: 
  • Check your property regularly 
  • Ensure you carry out routine maintenance 
  • Fix problems as soon as they arise.
This will not reduce the premium in any way; however your property may be in an area that requires you to meet certain security requirements. We will be able to tell you this.
As long as you have Portable Possessions cover under your policy and your son/daughter stays at your property in the holiday times, then their possessions will be covered. Please note that the Portable Possessions sum insured will need to be sufficient to cover the whole family.
The most we will pay for any contents whilst in the student accommodation is £5,000 in any one period of insurance. Please note that if there is more than one child at university then the £5,000 is split between them.