Theft of oil
16 January 2019
Tips and advice to help protect oil from theft.
Oil theft is increasing
How to prevent oil theft
- Conceal the location of the tank – it should be away from any gates and out of sight of the road
- Monitor the level of oil in your tank regularly
- If the tank is situated inside a building, make sure doors are locked securely at all times
- Consider installing security lighting to cover the tank
- Ask nearby residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the police
- Padlock the valve. This may not always prevent thieves as they may smash the valve completely, but it can act as a visual deterrent
- Fit hoses with a hardened, flexible casing, this will make them harder for thieves to cut through
- Lock the gates at night to make it more difficult for a thief to escape with oil
- Consider installing alarms or CCTV.